Your liver is the detox central of your body. If you own a healthy liver you will have a cleaner, healthier body, you will look and feel younger, and have revved up energy levels plus overall feeling of well-being. Optimizing your liver function aids in weight loss, now that’s a real added value!
Your liver does a lot of work every day, so it’s important we include foods that stimulate specific liver enzymes to enhance its detoxification process. There are many natural things you can do to keep a healthy liver such as drinking various teas like dandelion root and milk thistle. It’s important to always consult with your health care practitioner before beginning and cleansing protocols.
You can use these foods to help your liver to detox naturally:
1. Lemon – The oils in the skin of the lemon are a source of a phytonutrient that can help boost the cleansing processes of the liver. Lemons are fantastic for healthy digestion, an immune boost with the Vitamin C content, and another option that’s easily added to your daily life. Squeeze lemon in your water, drizzle on top of your salad or cook your veggies in lemon juice.
2. Artichoke – The leaves of this vegetable originary from north Africa and the Mediterrenean zone are capable of healing liver and regulate its working cycle. Artichoke cna be bough and consumed fresh or cooked, and there is also a supplement (see below) that you can use if always in hurry.
3. Asparagus – Asparagus cooks quickly and goes well with almost any meal – saute it, steam it, grill it, or roast it. It’s packed with antioxidants and natural cleansing abilities – so toss some in your morning omelet or use it as a side dish at dinner.
4. Avocados – Avocado is another powerhouse that is easily added to nearly any meal. Use it in your salads, use it to make sauces such as guacamole, and even use it to make a chocolate avocado mousse that you don’t have to feel guilty over!
5. Dandelion (Taraxacum officinalis) and Fumaria officinalis – Leaves of both these plants have depurative and laxative properties, Dandelion stimulates the production of bile in the liver and Fumaria has further detox capabilities. Dandelion is known for neutralizing endotoxins which are the toxins responsible for causing a herxheimer reaction. Regardind to this, there is a compound of Dandelium and Artichoke (see above) which comes in convenient capsules, which can be bought at Amazon, at this page.
6. Crucifer Vegetables – Kale, Collard Greens and Cabbage have the incredibly ability to increase the detox activity of cells in the liver.
Steam Kale for 2 minutes or Collard Greens for 4 minutes to keep the living enzymes they contain alive. Then add Sea Salt, Black Pepper, Diced Avocado and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Caution: Cruciferous vegetables are naturally high in sulfur. Those with a sulfur sensitivity or high levels of mercury should talk with their treating physician before eating.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar – is best known for its ability to alkalize the body which is a level of PH that allows the body to function much more properly. Apple Cider Vinegar is also an excellent anti-fungal. If you’re currently dealing with candida, Apple Cider Vinegar will likely induce a herx instead of reduce. You can buy it here.
Finally, if you drink tea, try replacing it with green tea which noticeably has more detox power.
Naturally cleansing your body can be something you do on a daily basis with foods such as these. Think about which of these three foods you can make a regular part of your daily life. Consider how you might incorporate them into your day.
For example: I drink a glass of 1 whole lemon juice in a half glass of water as first thing in the morning and drink a cup of dandelion tea at least 2-3 times per week.
In the back of my mind I always think, “how can I add more vegetables to my day?” When asparagus is on sale you can bet I will be grabbing a few bundles and enjoying it for the next few days. Do your best to include healthy foods that support your body, you will feel much better for it and it will show on your look.